As a charity, Tutor Trust has always charged a low cost to schools for our services.  Under the two Government schemes, the costs for schools are very low indeed because of the generous subsidies.  Schools can use Recovery Premium funding or their regular Pupil Premium budget to cover their contributions. 

The true cost of supporting pupils is the same for Tutor Trust under both schemes, but the level of Government subsidy is slightly different for the two schemes, so the charges are slightly different in 2021/22:

Under the National Tutoring Programme (NTP), the DfE is covering 70% of the costs, with schools paying a contribution of just 30%.  The 70% will be paid directly by the NTP to Tutor Trust; we will invoice schools for the remaining 30%.

Under the ‘school-led tutoring’ programme, schools will receive £203 for 60% of all their pupils who are eligible for Pupil Premium (the figure is £529 per pupil for Alternative Provision settings, Special Schools and Hospital Schools).  This extra DfE grant to schools is covering 75% of the tutoring costs, with schools paying a contribution of just 25%.  We will invoice schools for all these costs. 

 

What does this mean in practice?

Under both schemes, Tutor Trust will deliver most tutoring in small groups, with one tutor working with 3 pupils at a time (whether face-to-face or online).  This 1:3 ratio is the most cost-effective model for schools.

Under the National Tutoring Programme, for tutoring on a 1:3 ratio, a block of 15 hours of tutoring in either Maths, English or Science will cost schools just £75 per pupil for the full programme.    

Under the ‘school-led tutoring’ programme, for tutoring on a 1:3 ratio, a block of 15 hours of tutoring in either Maths, English or Science will cost schools just £62.50 per pupil for the full programme.    

Below are the full details of the financial contributions from schools under the two programmes:  

 

 

NTP 1

'School-led tutoring' 2

Secondary School Block of Tutoring (15 children for 15 hours in one subject)

1:3

£1,125 (£75 per pupil) 

£937.50 (£62.50 per pupil)

 

1:2 (14 children)

£1,575 (£112.50 per pupil)

£2,415 (£172.50 per pupil) 3

 

1:1 (per child)

£225 per pupil

£547.50 per pupil 3

Primary School Block of Tutoring (12 children for 15 hours in one subject)

1:3

£900 (£75 per pupil) 

£750 (£62.50 per pupil)

 

1:2

£1,350 (£112.50 per pupil)

£2,070 (£172.50 per pupil) 3

 

1:1 (per child)

£225 per pupil

£547.50 per pupil 3

1 Under NTP, schools will be invoiced for the subsidised tuition cost.

2 Under the 'school-led tutoring' programme, schools will be invoiced for the full tuition cost based on £50 per hour but the DfE grant will reduce the cost to schools to the amounts shown.

3 The 'school-led tutoring' grant is capped at £13.50 per hour. As the full tuition cost is £50 per hour, on a 1:1 and 1:2 basis the 75% subsidy does not apply to the full cost with only the first £18 per hour per pupil being subsidised.